Sunday, January 13, 2013

Verse for The Dragonslayer




Liam was diagnosed with ALL, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on Friday, May 9th, 2008. Before the journey we took as a family truly began, in that haze of the first few days in the hospital, our minds swimming with the overwhelming reams of data, I panicked. I wrote down anything that came to mind, usually in verse. Not one of my calculated, metered and true form ballads or sonnets. I was fiercely searching for something, a tether with which to strap myself to that mast of the ship that was circling the drain. I tell you this as a preface, to beg your patience and pardon for the severe lack of polish on these scripts herein. That being said, I would like to share a few lines I wrote within the first two or three days of learning of Liam's leukemia, while we were in the hospital, in the wee hours, waiting for his dangerously high fever to subside:

Panic
5/11/2008

Panic
temperature rising
fraction of a degree
by fraction of a degree
toward the boiling point
his fragile mind bends
buckling below the weight of the Kelvin scale
prayer, meditation, wishes, spells...worthless
time heals all...or not
time is a healer
time is a killer
time is something in precious short demand
soon we'll have all the time we can handle
so simmer down
and stew a while
whilst my life blood fades away
and my little prince slides slowly down the precipice
caught only by the fancy of my heart
No cosmic net
No Jedi force field
No deific buffer
No magical parachute
No justice
bend time for me
split space and atoms
minimize me and inject me into his cells
so I may do battle and face his disease
let cancer feel my sting
let me conquer it for you



We were so certain, initially that Liam's battle was simple, we would complete his treatment and he would be alright. This was of course before his fish test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence_in_situ_hybridization after which we learned that Liam's cancer had a rare chromosomal anomaly (hypodiploidi) that greatly reduced his chances of remaining in remission. We had hope and that, in the midst of everything else I was experiencing exhibited as both mania and impatience. Very helpful.

Little Big Man
5/11/2008
My eyes were the first you saw
like Caesar did you issue forth
My little big man with broken blood
You don't know yet what you're worth
You're living proof of your mother's love
And love I've for my wife
When I'm gone and my body's cold
You prove the worth of my life
We chose you, we made you in love
you grow each day, one by one
and now each day brings you closer
to when your treatment is done
Our plans, our dreams are on hold
But I have faith in you Liam
I know we'll make it together boy
And my golden years you'll see them.



Liam was, for those of you who never met him, a brave yet mild child. He was tall and thin and smiled in a way that reassured people. I wanted so madly to do something, to save this child for myself, yes, but mostly for the world. It is tragic when you hear about a child dying, or when you witness death and its aftermath. But when a truly majestic soul is snuffed out, well before its time, that injustice is impossible to reckon.



When we were in the hospital for our extended stays with Liam, Sophia stayed with Lisette's parents. They were great at bringing her by frequently, but even in the beginning, I felt a pang at the prospect of losing the elder child, while at the same time losing the experience of living, breathing and experiencing those precious moments with the junior. When Sophia was born, Liam, only two, called her Fifi.

FiFi
5/11/2008

Little one, Fifi
you are not forgotten
lost in the shuffle
slipped through a crack in our hearts
Your sweet silence
Your sweet smile
Your desire for love and affection apparent
You are not forgotten
Overshadowed by a cancerous cloud
But not blotted out or concealed from our love
The needs of your brother are many
Your needs are many
Balance will be struck
And life is not fair
But I have two hands
One to hold each of you
And as I live and breath
You will be loved and shown love
Little one, Fifi,
You are not forgotten
lost in the shuffle
Slipped through a crack in our hearts
You are loved.


Thank you for indulging me. I have not been able to look through a lot of my writings from the early days. This blog and those that have spoken with me about it have inspired me to try and reconnect with that person I was, the man that wrote these lines. Sometimes he seems like a stranger and at other times, I feel I am still writing them, Liam in the room with me, an IV in his arm, sweat on his brow and the long curly locks still pasted to his forehead. I try not to dwell in that room too much, for fear I will never leave.  Much love and bless you all.

4 comments:

  1. I always feel I have something to say after I read your blogs.....Maybe my thoughts are just provoked by your writing. I wish I could spit them out as you do. But I can't. so I will just post this :) , this means I'm here, thinking about you and yours.... I'm here with my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sir. You and yours ARE me and mine if you know what I mean. I write because when I am standing with family and friends in person the words elude me. I know we all have a message, the hardest part sometimes is finding our voice. I appreciate this forum to express myself and I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I agree exactly with what David said. Thank you for sharing this, and for sharing Liam with us as well.

    ReplyDelete