Friday, March 3, 2017

3/2/2017


 Lenten Journal Day 2:  I want to help my children see the world as an exciting and uplifting place.  In short, I am willing to lie to them.  I remember as a child that I was exposed to music and art from a young age.  When I heard about six months ago that the Broadway show Matilda (based upon the book by Roald Dahl) was coming to Portland, I knew it was an experience we couldn't pass up.  So last night (3/2) we dressed up, polished off a meal and homework in record time and stepped out the door at the time of day we would usually be getting ready for bed and ventured downtown. 
 Sophia is a huge Roald Dahl fan.  Her Dahl collection is her most treasured and definitely most used set of books.  She has read his complete works several times and was well prepared.



 The show was great for a number of reasons.  Dahl wrote the story, timeless classic.  Tim Minchin wrote the music and lyrics, I love his work.  The cast was phenomenal, especially Gabby Gutierrez as Matilda and Bryce Ryness as Ms. Trunchbull.  Fantastic.  We got there early and had the opportunity to look through the program.  I saw that my high school band director was in the orchestra pit.  I was able to pop my head in and say hi to him during the Intermission.  Jack Quinby is still rocking it.  Very nice.  Mario didn't make it past the first act.  He slept through at least $34 worth of theater, surpassing expectations. 


 In reflection on the show, I realized several of the themes were very poignant and well established.  There is of course the message of recognizing and valuing the gifts granted to us, whether they be our talents or the gift of amazing people in our lives.  There is also the message of courage, particularly in the face of big, powerful bullies, especially those that have a position of authority over you.  The Trump parallel is not lost on me.  I love that Matilda's story that she tells is constantly dark and the hopes of the acrobat and the escape artist are continuously confronted with challenges, loss and tragedy.  Still from that darkness comes strength and love.  I have found that the most profound experiences in my life have stemmed from what I would consider tragedy.  From sad events or from devastating experiences you can easily be destroyed.  The trick is to find a way to peace from those things.  I believe hope and love are the best path forward from tragedy.  They are not a panacea.  They are however indispensable.  


 The look on Sophia's face as the final ten minutes rolled by was priceless.  She was smiling/laughing straight through.  I was so happy that she enjoyed it, as did Lisette and I.  Mario liked the parts he was awake for.  Definitely worth the investment of time and money.  I think the theater will be seeing more of us.  We are already planning our next show.

No comments:

Post a Comment