Monday, March 6, 2017

3/3/2017


Day 3:  I had a day full of missed adventure.  Don't mistake me.  I spoke correctly.  It was not a day of misadventure, but of missed adventure.  I had planned to stop in on the Trump rally which I had mistakenly believed to be on Friday.  It was Saturday.  I made a trip out to the Feed and Grain store but got hopelessly lost so I just bailed and went home.  I had thawed out some nice steaks until I was reminded that it was a Friday in Lent and Sophia and Mario were keenly aware of the fact.  Though I really don't care about the meat on Friday rule/guideline for Lent I figured, why spare them this travesty?  It builds character.  Though I would like to joke that character is a trait which my children are sorely lacking, that would just be patently false.  Still, exercising the old punitive Catholic trope of a god that wants us to suffer with Jesus (the literal meaning of compassion = to suffer alongside) is a timeless work of love.  Love of whom?  I still haven't figured that one out yet.  I strongly suspect that asceticism and zealous piety, though in the guise of love of God are also in some ways a form of self aggrandization.  It makes one feel good and proud to be so well devoted to God.  It also helps prop up the notion that I am a "good" Christian or a better Christian.  I think the same traps in which the faithful accuse the faithless of landing are sprung amongst themselves as well...and in spades.
  So we ate no meat.  Actually, I made cheese pizzas for the kids (from scratch) and a veggie pizza for Lisette (with a GF shell) and I made a meat-stuffed calzone for myself because 1) nobody else eats calzones in my house, 2) you couldn't see if was jammed full of ham, pepperoni and bacon, and 3) My hypocrisy only goes so far.  I have quite a bit of experience with pizza making, but I am always looking for new topping combinations.  This time for Lisette I made a green chile, onion, fresh mozzarella and raw tomato.  Solid.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment