Thursday, March 2, 2017

Lenten Journal 2017 Post 1

3/1/2017


 I am writing a Lenten Journal this year for several reasons, the first being that I am staying away from Facebook.  Second I am going to do something new,fun and/or exciting every day of Lent.  So either I write about it here daily or I post it all at once on FB at the end.  Who is going to want to read that?  Don't answer, that was rhetorical. 
 Day 1:  Easy Peasey Lemon Squeezie day as far as avoiding FB.  I was in Salem most of the day, delivering office furniture and getting some appliances for our new office.  Lesson for the day: Some people don't want help.




So, for my first day of Lent action I made my first loaf of bread.  Super simple, no frills.  I bought a piece of travertine to use as a baking stone.  Problem is it was too big for the oven.  Instead I used my cast iron skillet.  Still turned out well.  I almost ate the whole thing.


I also started playing around with Teff flour for Lisette.  I made an initial attempt at Injera.  I will work on it and maybe make an Ethiopian meal for one of my days.  We'll see.

Though I am no longer a believer, I have found that some of the rituals and practices I experienced growing up in the Catholic Church have helped me to find inner quiet.  I like the reflection of Lent and the focus on self-actualization and betterment.  There is a common misconception that Lent is about asceticism or beating oneself up for being a sinner.  I don't believe in Original Sin or the idea that a person is a sinner despite their actions to the contrary.  I believe everybody is capable of "sin".  I think humanity and it's capacity for free will inherently allows for making bad choices and selfish acts.  That being said, focusing on what is wrong with others and ourselves all the time is an excellent way to stay miserable.  Look for the light in people.  You'll find it.  Living in the dark is the truest form of asceticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment